Media inquiry: "a hop, skip, and a jump"

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Tue Jul 22 17:20:47 UTC 2008

Hi all,
   Brendan O'Connor of ESPN Magazine just e-mailed me asking about the
origin of "a hop, skip  and a jump."  Is it in any way connected with the
triple jump in the track and field sport?

   His deadline is tomorrow, although it might possibly be stretched to
Thursday.  Can anyone help on this?

Gerald Cohen
gcohen at mst.edu

------ Forwarded Message
From: "OConnor, Brendan" <Brendan.OConnor at espn3.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 16:18:40 +0000
To: <gcohen at mst.edu>
Conversation: Media inquiry
Subject: Media inquiry

Dear Mr. Cohen,

I'm an editor at ESPN Magazine working on piece about track and field event
the triple jump. Trying to determine origin of expression "a hop, skip and a
jump" to see if it is in any way connected to the sport. (My track source
thinks it's doubtful as they don't actually skip, but rather do a hop, step
and a jump.) Any insights most appreciated. ....

Best Regards,
Brendan O'Connor
212-515-1054