As A Metaphor, It's Maybe a 3-and-a-Half

Doug Harris cats22 at FRONTIERNET.NET
Wed Jul 23 14:03:09 UTC 2008

Fascinating, Larry. I had no idea. (My formal education,
such as it was, didn't raise, never mind explain, that
issue.
Your explanation caused me to wonder, isn't that something
like scientists do -- assume a conclusion then test to prove
or disprove their assumption / theory?
===
And to the original issue: While Wilber and Orville certainly
didn't actually _build_ their initial plane while it was in
the air, I'll bet the experience -- albeit not precisely while
it was occurring! -- probably helped them re-design and build
better models.
dh
---

At 8:08 AM -0400 7/23/08, Doug Harris wrote:
>"Begs a question"     =    51,300 Google hits.
>"Begs the question"   = 2,580,000 Google hits.
>"Raises a question"   =   561,000 Google hits.
>"Raises the question" = 3,820,000 Google hits.
>
>Some would, some wouldn't.
>
>dh

Well, I agree that many use "beg the question" for "raise the
question".  But a google count is not going to distinguish between
those that use the former locution in the newer meaning (synonynous
with 'raise the question') and those who use it in the original
sense, that of philosophers going back to Aristotle, for the "petitio
principii" fallacy alluding to circularity of reasoning by assuming
the conclusion in arguing for it.  I did say "some would they the
same", not that all would.

LH