"saditty" (snobbish) from "Saturday"?

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Tue Jul 29 00:34:01 UTC 2008

>     My main question now: Is there any evidence of "saditty" (snobbish) being pronounced with initial stress anywhere in the U.S.?
Sure, there are a few examples in DARE. However, they don't (IMHO)
support the "Saturday" connection because the stressed first syllable is
always /V/ or /I/ (the vowel in "but" or "bit") (never /&/ (like in
"bat" or "Saturday"). These two are just the two likely results of
stressing a schwa, it seems to me, suggesting that the earlier
pronunciation had second-syllable stress (as most examples in DARE do).

-- Doug Wilson