"affect" = result in; lead to.

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jul 29 14:04:13 UTC 2008

_America's News Room_ on Fox News Channel right now: "A study suggests that eating soy can result in a lower sperm count and even affect infertility."

I've heard this usage before. I suppose users can also spell it "effect."

For those already infected, a standard definition of "affect" is "to have an effect upon (_something that already exists_)."  "...[A]ffect _fertility_" is what the lady meant if she wished to avoid sounding goofy (except that words "mean" whatever we want them to, so screw it, sorry I said anything).

JL