"sooner than later"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jul 30 00:48:54 UTC 2008

Some of you will recall this discussion back in April of "Later Than
Sooner" that I posted from a Times headline:

>>I don't know what these are called, but note the headline of this
>>piece in today's Times:
>>
>>http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/22/sports/baseball/22yankees.html?_r=1&ref=sports&oref=slogin
>>
>>And in case you think it's a typo (for "Later Rather Than Sooner"
>>perhaps), the inside page headline in the hard copy is
>>
>>Chamberlain Will Start,
>>But Later Than Sooner.

Arnold mentioned the many hits for "sooner than later".  I wasn't
conscious at the time of having heard this, but I've heard it twice
today, once in a radio interview with a baseball player and the other
from the ESPN commentary on the World Series of Poker competition.
In both cases it meant 'sooner rather than later'.

LH