Is it Irish to be Cuil?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 30 20:20:15 UTC 2008

Sounds reasonable to me. You also note that:

"Cockneys have said dis, dat, dese, dem for a long time."

This is also still true of an amazing (to me) number of black
Americans. I'm being forced to see it not as stereotypical, but as
*still* quite typical.

-Wilson

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 3:48 PM, Paul A Johnston, Jr.
<paul.johnston at wmich.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Paul A Johnston, Jr." <paul.johnston at WMICH.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Is it Irish to be Cuil?
>
> This may be an Ulster thing, but aren't there dialects who represent single slender /n/ as a plain old alveolar nasal, as opposed to the broad /n/, which would be a dental one?  Hone would work, then.
>
> I've heard the dentalization of /t d n/ that many New Yorkers have (me too) blamed on a number of immigrant languages, but one of them is Irish--that they came over having replaced English /t d n/ with broad rather than slender (presumably palatalized for them) realizations.  Such speakers would probably merge they/day, thin/tin as well.  The Italians and others from language backgrounds with dentals would have presumably reinforced this tendency.  (Where pronouns with /D-/ are concerned, this might be older in NYC; Cockneys have said dis, dat, dese, dem for a long time, and a lot of Londoners came to NY and NJ in the early 18c.)
>
> Paul Johnstin

-----
 -Sam'l Clemens