favourite English history/general intro texts

Matthew Gordon gordonmj at MISSOURI.EDU
Thu Jul 31 17:48:33 UTC 2008

When I teach History of English, I use Brinton and Arnovick's "The English
Language: A Linguistic History" (OUP). I used to use Milward's book but it's
pretty out of date (and print?) now. The Brinton and Arnovick book may be
too thick and chewy for the class your relative is teaching. Since you
describe it as a course on the history and structure of the language and an
intro to linguistics, you might think about something like "How English
Works" by Anne Curzan and Michael (previously 'on notice') Adams. It's much
more of an intro to the current structure of English but it has two chapters
on the history of the language.

-Matt Gordon