"Democrat party"

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jun 1 16:52:28 UTC 2008

There's a considerable difference between "Democrat Party" and
"Republic Party."  "Democrat" has a final stressed syllable and
"Republic" doesn't.  The syllable "crat" conforms to the phonotactics
of English taboo vocabulary: short vowel and final voiceless consonant
usually a stop, which turns "Democrat" into an epithet in a way that
can't be done with "Republic."  Among Republican political consultants
it's been a routine form of name-calling for decades.

Herb