the spoken sounds of ing/ink and ang/ank

David Borowitz borowitz at STANFORD.EDU
Mon Jun 2 20:55:54 UTC 2008

Hm, I've never had problems with GMail auto-HTMLing my postings
before, but this should be better. (I changed the ash ligature to
/ae/, on the off chance that was part of the problem.)

I haven't yet looked at a spectrogram of Tom's examples, but it sounds
to me like the pre-nasal i's are, in addition to being lax, also
somewhat nasalized. IIRC nasalization of front vowels in English is
pretty well attested, though perhaps more clearly so with /ae/ as in
'can.'

--
It is better to be quotable than to be honest.
-Tom Stoppard

Borowitz