to eyeball

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 3 03:11:53 UTC 2008

Searching Google books for "eyeballed" and date before 1946 got a lot
of hits. Many were clearly just 'look at', but these seems pretty safe
for sense. I've expanded the snippet by a little kludging to get more
context.

Public Utilities Fortnightly - Google Book Search
Public Utilities Fortnightly - Page 22
by Public Utilities Reports, inc, Gale Group, inc Public Utilities
Reports, West Publishing Company - Public utilities - 1929

Then, for each season, select the load curves for the peak day, a typical
weekday, a typical Saturday, and a typical Sunday.
Rating periods are then "eyeballed" by looking at these curves. While helpful
for display purposes, this method rarely provides a firm statistical
demonstration of having avoided bias in the selection of rating periods ...

The page is at
http://tinyurl.com/6z7vqc

or, if you really want the actual URI:

http://books.google.com/books?id=DnVUAAAAMAAJ&q=eyeballed+date:0-1945&dq=eyeballed+date:0-1945&lr=&num=100&as_brr=0&ei=s69ESNyhAo_aigG78eDJBw&pgis=1

I can't find the actual date, but the style of type on the image
suggests pre-WWII.

Ah, but here's a snippet from a book, not a periodical for which
Google gives the date of first publication ... no, dammit, "about this
book" doesn't mean "book" after all, and this is "News magazine for
government road & street officials, engineers & contractors."

Better Roads - Page 32
Roads - 1937
Old construction hands, relying mostly on "eyeballing" the product,
seem to think
there is a difference in the binding quality. Lab tests run by The Asphalt ...

http://tinyurl.com/59cavy =
http://books.google.com/books?id=ewJWAAAAMAAJ&q=eyeballed+or+eyeballing+date:0-1945&dq=eyeballed+or+eyeballing+date:0-1945&ei=C7VESLLCOqHQjgG4nsTLBg&pgis=1

Somebody else will have to do it.

m a m, up too late