Kimchi pizza

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Jun 8 16:15:23 UTC 2008

At 11:59 PM +0800 6/8/08, LanDi Liu wrote:
>  > At 10:51 AM -0400 6/8/08, Joel S. Berson wrote:
>>>Is kimchi the pickled vegetable or the spice?  The messages in this
>>>chain seem to differ.  (What I think of is very spicy pickled
>>>cabbage, but in South Korea I had dishes with the same heat but
>>>without the cabbage.)
>>>
>On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 11:39 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>>  Randy will probably give us the correct answer, but in my own usage,
>>  kimchi (which I'm more used to spelling "kim chee") is indeed the
>>  pickled cabbage.  The liquid is kim chee pickling liquid (I actually
>>  made my own kim chee once from a packet but decided it wasn't worth
>>  the time and effort), and when you make it with, say, turnip or
>>  scallions I'm not sure what to call the result, so I'd probably just
>>  call it kim chee-style pickled whatever.
>
>I'm no kimchi expert, but there's an excellent (and appetizing)
>article on Wikipedia:
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimchi

Aha, so they're all kimchi; it's only in certain restricted (U.S.)
contexts (I guess I'll refrain from unifying threads by calling them
diaper contexts) in which kimchi is understood as referring more
narrowly to the "baechu" variety.  That is a tasty-looking wiki-site
to be sure.  Time for a lunch break.

LH