semantic drift: "several" = many

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jun 8 17:54:56 UTC 2008

The individuated use of "several" is still current in legal language.
My son had a roommate walk out on his part of a multi-roommate lease,
and the landlord sued the others for the walk-out's part of the lease.
 My son's lawyer pointed out to the judge that the lease contained the
wording "individually and severally" with reference to responsibility
for payment rather than "jointly and severally."  On the basis of that
the judge held that the landlord could not collect individual portions
of delinquent rent from the rest of the tenants.

Herb