Dap (Dignity And Pride?); Fist Bump; Pound or Fist Pound

Jim Parish jparish at SIUE.EDU
Tue Jun 10 17:56:51 UTC 2008

Grant Barrett wrote:
> A friend who works in television had an occasion to have a good chat
> with Quincy Jones. At the end of it Quincy put up his fist for a fist
> bump. Not knowing any better, Friend, who is short and white and not
> very soulful, grabbed the fist from the front, like you would grab the
> rung on a ladder, and shook it.
>
> I'm only a little less white than that.

On the other hand, the only time I've been invited to take part in a fist
bump - a month or two ago - the other party was (like me) about as
white as you get. (She made the idea clear enough that the gesture
was completed successfully.)

Jim Parish