Saddity, 1894

Bonnie Taylor-Blake taylor-blake at NC.RR.COM
Sun Jun 15 22:24:31 UTC 2008

Anyone have an idea what writer and historian Henry Adams meant by
"saddity," below?

[March 16, 1894:  Adams writes to Elizabeth Cameron from Santiago de Cuba.]

"We were two or three hours in getting breakfast, and things moved so
slowly, that at last King and I, with Don Tomas, our host -- I never learned
his full name, but he was rather a Ravenswood sort of saddity -- took to our
legs and walked up the hill, which he said was a mere twenty minutes."

(From _Letters of Henry Adams_ [1892-1918], edited by W.C. Ford [Boston:
Houghton Mifflin Co., 1938], p. 42.)

-- Bonnie