yonder - English or Irish?

Barbara Need bhneed at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 20 13:47:41 UTC 2008

I first knew a version of this song as "Johnny has gone for a
soldier" sung by Burl Ives (without _yonder_ in the song). The notes
accompanying the text says it was sung during the American
Revolution. A web search also identifies it as a Revolutionary War
song, "probably an American adaptation of the Irish tune Shule Aroon
from the 17th Century".

Barbara