fake American dialects (Society Listserv?)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jun 23 16:40:13 UTC 2008

At 9:57 AM -0400 6/22/08, David Donnell wrote:
>Was listening to Brit actor Hugh Laurie in his lead role on the TV
>series "House"... Was wondering if his fake American accent is as
>solid as it seems, or if it's just that his voice is compelling;

I've never noticed a slip in his accent.  Accents must be easier for
actors to master than syntax/lexicon is for authors--even the best
British writers seem to slip up on occasion.  Or else Hugh Laurie is
just very good.

LH