An unexpected occurrence of an ethnic slur

Tue Jun 24 01:14:56 UTC 2008

How does "dago" come from the soul of Black people?

-----Original Message-----
From: "Wilson Gray" <hwgray at gmail.com>

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 20:19:02
To:ronbutters at aol.com
Subject: Re: An unexpected occurrence of an ethnic slur

Not in any song that I know of. And, FWIW, both "honky" and
"African-American," IMO, are quasi-learned artificialities. Both are
unreal and should not be treated as though they came from the soul of
the people. "Honky" appears to have run its course and, with any luck,
"African-American" will die before I do or, at least, be restricted to
African immigrants, whether from super- or sub-Saharan Africa.

Historical note. The Black Panthers and their jargon were never
particularly influential in the Greater Los Angeles area, where I
lived during the relevant era. It was controlled by US (United Slaves:
"Wherever we are, US is!"), founded by Ronald "Maulana Ron Karenga"
Everett, since 1979 a professor at California State University, Long
Beach. OTOH, Huey is dead.

-Wilson

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 4:10 PM,  <ronbutters at aol.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>