"be hit-and-run"

Wed Jun 25 22:04:07 UTC 2008

a postcard from a friend: "Today's tsuris is that my car was hit-and-
run while it was parked outside my apartment ..."

it took me a moment to see that the "and run" part was not actually
parallel to the "hit" part.

apparently not uncommon; a few examples:

My car was hit and run last SATURDAY 6/14 at around 11AM on the corner
of 21ST and DELANCEY (in front of 2034 Delancey st).
www.phillyblog.com/philly/south-west-center-city/59583-hit-run-delancey-6-14-help.html

My saab was hit and run twice on the street. The first time, the
driver did a similar thing and totally broke the axel. I thought it
was totalled.
la.metblogs.com/2006/10/16/hit-and-run-in-silver-lake/

A few days ago, an 11 year old girl was hit and run in New Haven.
Nobody stopped. She was taken to the hospital, where she later died.
www.t-nation.com/tmagnum/
jumpLast.do;jsessionid=32F66E14AF3DB5DC05CD6AEC0433492E.hydra?id=2221256

My suv was hit and run and I am left over with $1100 worth of damage.
minneapolis.craigslist.org/vnn/724942813.html

plenty of examples of "was hit and run over", which is entirely
standard, of course, and may have contributed to the usage.

arnold