Etymology of "broad" = [approx.] "gal"

Marc Velasco marcjvelasco at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 26 15:38:55 UTC 2008

I would've thought (2).  But I could see a crossing-over from (5) as a real
possibility.  But if (3)'s the ticket, then, that's why they do the
research, right?  And even if it was originally (3), then there's no reason
why the humorous wouldn't've enjoyed the double entrendre with (2).

However it originated, I'm fairly sure it was widely it's common
understanding was cemented as (2) after the musical 'South Pacific' came
out.  Ain't nothing like pop culture to change meanings around.

http://www.allthelyrics.com/lyrics/south_pacific_soundtrack/honey_bun-lyrics-1156006.html