Etymology of "broad" = [approx.] "gal"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jun 30 19:34:41 UTC 2008

Speaking of "(white) naked or near-nked beauties" in the same breath
as "(black) Bert Williams," there was once a whites-only nudie-bar in
Saint Louis that featured only white-female nudies, yet it had an
all-black house band!

I leave the solution to this conundrum as an exercise for the reader.

-Wilson

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 1:39 PM, George Thompson
<george.thompson at nyu.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       George Thompson <george.thompson at NYU.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Etymology of "broad" = [approx.] "gal"
>
> did the number of broadway shows (and
>> Broadway actresses, and aspiring actresses) peak around that time?
>
> Well, the Ziegfeld Follies began its run of annual productions in 1907, featuring naked or near-naked beauties, as well as the major vaudeville stars of the day: W. C. Fields, Ed Wynn, Fannie Brice, and especially Bert Williams.  Ziegfeld's slogan was "Glorifying the American Girl".  George White's Scandals began in 1919; like Ziegfeld, he worked with Gershwin and other major popular composers.   Earl Carroll's Vanities began in 1923; he was described as "selling gutter humor and naked female flesh to morons".  Ziegfeld may have had other imitators before White.
>
> GAT
>
> George A. Thompson
> Author of A Documentary History of "The African Theatre", Northwestern Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much lately.

-----
 -Sam'l Clemens