Unicode test

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Mar 3 15:56:02 UTC 2008

At 3/3/2008 02:56 AM, Michael Quinion wrote:
>All the Chinese and Japanese characters appear for me, but I first have to
>change the viewing font from my default of Courier to a Unicode one that
>includes the right character sets, in my case Arial Unicode MS. This may
>be the situation for others who can't read them. The UTF-8 is certainly
>getting through the LISTSERV.

I never even thought of changing my font!  To me, as someone once
involved in code set standards and support, character sets and fonts
should be independent things, with "font" meaning only what the
characters look like.  But I'm now reminded that in actual
implementation that's not the case -- a given font may not provide
all the characters of an encoding.

If anyone is using Eudora and receives the Chinese and Japanese
characters correctly, can they tell me what font they use for
messages?  (Eudora has a long list, and suggestions would be
appreciated.)  I'm presently using Times Roman.

Thanks,
Joel