freten by sowe

LanDi Liu strangeguitars at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 4 15:09:44 UTC 2008

The "pig" character,  $Bl5 (B (shi3), means that, but isn't used commonly,
and it sounds like shit,  $BU} (B (shi3).  Most Chinese people wouldn't
recognize it.  The everyday "pig" character is  $BCv (B (zhu1).

[I'm expecting that the characters won't show, unless somebody "fixed"
something on the server side after our unicode tests, so if I'm right,
my prepared response is: Doug, how come you can write Chinese
characters and I can't?  That's so NOT FAIR!!!]

Randy

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 2:43 PM, Douglas G. Wilson <douglas at nb.net> wrote:
>  Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>
> Poster:       "Douglas G. Wilson" <douglas at NB.NET>
>
> Subject:      Re: freten by sowe
>
>  Compare:
>
>  "Pig":  $Bl5 (B
>
>  http://www.xuezhongwen.net/chindict/chindict.php?cdqchi=%E8%B1%95
>
>  "Home"/"family":  $B2H (B
>
>  http://www.xuezhongwen.net/chindict/chindict.php?cdqchi=%E5%AE%B6
>
>  If the characters didn't send right, one can check the dictionary links!
>
>  -- Doug Wilson

Randy Alexander
Jilin City, China