garden pathing relative clause

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Mar 4 18:26:17 UTC 2008

Is it just me, or does the last sentence in this excerpt from an
article
(http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/03/nyregion/03bishop.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=Paul+Moore&st=nyt&oref=slogin)
about the late activist Episcopalian bishop Paul Moore yield a garden
path?

=================
Paul Moore Jr., the late, revered Episcopal bishop who became a
national figure of liberal Christian activism from the cathedral's
pulpit in the 1970s and '80s, had lived a secret gay life...
In an elegiac article in the March 3 issue of The New Yorker magazine
titled "The Bishop's Daughter," the poet Honor Moore describes her
father, Bishop Moore, who died in 2003 at 83, as alternately
passionate and elusive, capable of deep "religious emotion," yet just
beyond her emotional reach. It was only after he died, she said, that
she fully realized that he had had gay relationships during his two
marriages, the first of which produced his nine children.

For me, the strong suggestion on the first pass is that it was the
first of his gay relationships that produces his nine children, which
then (not inexplicably) forces a reprocessing.  Others I've checked
with split on whether or not they get the garden path.

LH