"all but" = all of; a mere"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Mar 6 01:01:21 UTC 2008

>"Didn't take me but three days" would be an absolutely everyday
>utterance 'round here.  Probably in Crawford as well.
>
>   JL

Ah, but that's negative concord "but".  The question is whether you,
or the Crawfordite, could say "It took me but three days to read it."
That's the one I was assessing as old-fashioned or high-register.
(In fact, the development of the exceptive "but" within and without
supervening negation is interesting and complicated enough to have
had at least one book written about it, by Terttu Nevalainen).

LH