Folk etymology definition

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Mar 7 16:47:18 UTC 2008

At 9:56 AM -0600 3/7/08, Matthew Gordon wrote:
>It doesn't sound wrong to me, just incomplete, since, e.g., not all folk
>etymologies involve borrowed words.

Yes, this is an *instance* of folk etymology
(classic analogous cases include "cockroach",
"rosemary", "mushroom", and "johnny cake"
[assuming the "jonakin" derivation is right]),
but as a *definition*, the "in which" clause is
too narrow.  AHD4's definition seems adequate;
note that one of its illustrations satisfies the
borrowing condition and the other doesn't.
Change in the form of a word or phrase resulting
from a mistaken assumption about its composition
or meaning, as in shamefaced for earlier
shamfast, "bound by shame," or cutlet from French
côtelette, "little rib."

LH