Folk etymology definition

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Fri Mar 7 21:25:23 UTC 2008

FOLK ETYMOLOGY in the second sense of the term is especially interesting to folklorists because it can give rise to legends about the origins of terms. Like legends in general, these narratives (and explanations) aren't necessarily BELIEVED, but they are told AS IF they are believed. Many of them are, in fact, jokes.

--Charlie