Folk etymology definition

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 8 20:27:04 UTC 2008

No, I don't think Dave does mean they knew what they were doing. Quoting the
kernel (IMHO) of each definition from his posts:

 1. (technical) taking an unfamiliar word and modifying it to a form that is
familiar

 2. (more general) a commonly held belief, often but not necessarily untrue,
about the origin of a word or phrase.

Awareness has nothing to do with these. Dave, do you concur?

--
Mark Mandel