emirati

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 9 03:15:46 UTC 2008

Ben,

I have no doubt that you are right that the term is native Arabic, not a
loanword.  However, the OED at least leaves open the possibility that the
English word "emirate" would have been reanalyzed by English speakers on the
analogy of "professorate" and "episcopate."  It is this, I think that led
both Mark and me to see "Emirati" as an odd form, he initially as a typo for
"emeriti" and I as an English derived noun with an Arabic suffix turning up
as the name citizens of an Arabic-speaking nation call themselves.   We were
both on the wrong track, but I'm still inclined to think it's been
reanalyzed in English.

Herb