Funeralize

Margaret Lee mlee303 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Mar 9 09:06:52 UTC 2008

Sometimes the term "homegoing service" is also used in the African American community to refer to the funeral, the idea that the deceased is going home to be with the Lord: 'Sister Rose's homegoing service will be held on Tuesday at noon.'

  Margaret Lee

"Arnold M. Zwicky" <zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU> wrote:
  On Mar 8, 2008, at 11:22 AM, Damien Hall wrote:

> Spotted last night in an obituary:
>
> 'He was funeralized February 26, 2008, at Resurrection Baptist
> Church [...]'
>
> (_Westside Weekly_ (Philadelphia, PA, USA), 7-13 March 2008, p8)
>
> This clearly means 'his funeral was held', 'he was given a
> funeral'; it was a
> new one on me and didn't appear (in this sense) in either of the
> dictionaries I
> was able to consult:
>
> - _OED_ online has a citation from 1654 for _funeralize_ meaning
> 'render sad or
> melancholy'; this is the only citation and the word is marked
> 'obscure'.
> - The word didn't feature in _MW Online_ or in the _MW Collegiate_
> (which may,
> for all I know, contain the same data!).
> - The _MW_ website said that there was an entry for _funeralize_ in
> the
> unabridged version at merriam-websterunabridged.com, but neither I
> nor my U.
> library has a subscription to that.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (based on the Random House Unabridged) has
it in this sense:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/funeralized

> A new one for the _OED_, or a nonce-word? Has anyone else come
> across it? This
> citation is from the free local paper of the area where I live in West
> Philadelphia, which is 99% African-American; does that have any
> bearing?

from http://hnn.us/blogs/comments/13503.html

"To funeralize" is a verb unique to black English and I like it. It
refers to the formal rituals for burial that survive in a more robust
way among African Americans than among the rest of us. It can be used
actively ("We funeralized Brother Johnson last week.") or passively
("Brother Johnson was funeralized last week."), with past, present and
future tenses.

fair number of hits describing funeral rituals (most, if not all, for
african americans), plus some commenting, in an amazed way, at the
verb. and, right here on ADS-L: