coffin pronunciation

David Bergdahl dlbrgdhl at GMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 15 13:08:40 UTC 2008

Here's a thought abt coughin'/coffin/coughing....

My 'native' pronunciation of law, coffee,moss, wrong &c. is /U@/ but
ridicule in college 'cleaned me up' to /O/.  I could never get to where
Don=Dawn (except in a few words which vary: forest, Florida, orange).  Is it
possible that the vowel difference between {aw} before the alveolar and
velar nasal is that the former is the casual, 'native' pronunciation and the
latter is the learned, 'proper' vowel?  That would explain coffin = coughing
but not coughin'
-db