Phonology question

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Mar 16 23:35:56 UTC 2008

At 3:09 PM -0700 3/16/08, David Borowitz wrote:
>A possible explanation for syllabifying "distaste" as "dis.taste" jumps to
>mind: s followed by an aspirated t is not a valid onset, and aspiration
>somehow happens before syllabification. So "di.staste" would need to have an
>aspirated t, which is not allowed, hence "dis.taste." (Not that I have the
>energy to reword that in proper OT...)

Not being a phonologist either, my sense has always been that the
di.sC... is easier in articulatory terms but less transparent in
preserving morphological integrity. (I guess that is something
phonologists talk about in terms of faithfulness vs. markedness in
some guise or other.)  And similarly with "mis-" words.  So in cases
like "distaste", "mistape", or "mistook", where the compositionality
has been preserved, the prefix/root break is preserved as well, but
in cases like "disturb", "distinct", or "mistake", which are no
longer analyzed as dis + turb or mis + take, the /s/ has migrated to
the root syllable and the /t/ consequently loses its aspiration.
Frequency is a factor too; the more frequent words are more likely to
undergo the resyllabification.  It may be a bit tricky to sort out
the cause-and-effect, but the correlation is clear:  semantic
transparency (compositionality)/morphological integrity/no
resyllabification/ease of discrimination vs. semantic
opacity/morphological opacity/resyllabification/ease of articulation.

LH