Baby Mama Spawns a Movie

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 20 03:42:00 UTC 2008

The only person that I've ever met who used things like "fillim" and
"ellem" in his normal speech was my late stepfather, a native of Saint
Louis of mixed African-American and European-American Arkansan
ancestry.

The expected BE pronunciations are "fi'm" [fI at m] and "e'm" [E at m],
though the blues phrase, "deep Ellum," implies that such was not
always the case.

-Wilson

On 3/19/08, Doug Harris <cats22 at frontiernet.net> wrote:
>  Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>  Poster:       Doug Harris <cats22 at FRONTIERNET.NET>
>  Subject:      Baby Mama Spawns a Movie
>
>  The phrase, not the baby mama per se.
>  'Baby Mama' is the title of an upcoming
>  filim starring Tiny Fey, according to
>  Parade magazine. The premise: A single
>  woman, desperate to conceive, engages a
>  surrogate 'baby mama'.
>  Somewhat ironically, both the aspiring
>  mom and the surrogate are Caucasian.
>  dh
>
>  ps: is the 'filim' pronunciation peculiar
>  to a particular geography?

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens