Heard on The Judges II

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 24 20:00:01 UTC 2008

A mid-twenty-ish black woman, reads an excerpt from a letter written
to her by a former friend. The friend, as quoted, twice uses "y'all."

I find this surprising. I use "y'all" in speech all the time, when
speaking to other black people, but I use it in writing only whin I be
funnin' wit chawl. I don't use "y'all" even when writing to members of
my family and I don't even feel comfortable using "you-all" in
correspondence, except as a joke.

I guess that young folk aren't as tense about sounding cullud as us
older heads.

-Wilson
-----
-Sam'l Clemens