canadians in comic

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 27 03:24:39 UTC 2008

And then there's also the covert use of "America(n)" to mean
"European-America(n)," as when the cartoon character notes that,
though he himself is willing to vote for a Canadian, he's not going
to, because he doubts that the rest of _America_ will. [Presumably, he
doesn't want to "waste" his vote.]

-Wilson

On 3/26/08, Lynne Murphy <m.l.murphy at sussex.ac.uk> wrote:
> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Lynne Murphy <m.l.murphy at SUSSEX.AC.UK>
> Subject:      canadians in comic
>
> I think we covered the covert-racist 'African-American' sense of _Canadian_
> on this list, so this comic might be of interest:
>
> <http://www.salon.com/comics/knig/2008/03/26/knig/>
>
> Lynne
>
> Dr M Lynne Murphy
> Senior Lecturer in Linguistics and English Language
> Arts B135
> University of Sussex
> Brighton BN1 9QN
>
> phone: +44-(0)1273-678844