that sucks

Fri Mar 28 15:02:01 UTC 2008

On Mar 28, 2008, at 7:38 AM, Larry Horn wrote:

> ... *Did we ever figure out what those are called, those brief
> mentions on the front page of a newspaper section announcing and
> promoting a particular article/column on an inside page? It's not
> exactly a subhead, but what is it?

in a posting on these things on the front pages of porn magazines, i
called them "teasers", on analogy with the teasers for tv shows:

AZ, 7/18/06: Drawing the line:
  http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/003362.html

but "teaser" seems to be used in newspaper contexts for something
rather different -- an ad for some coming product or preliminary
announcement of some coming event, with few details specified.

in the NYT, the brief mentions are called "Inside the Times", with a
few on the front page and more on the next page or two; as a set, they
function as an incomplete table of contents for the day's news.

surely there's a technical term in journalism.  i just don't know what
it is.

arnold