that sucks

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Mar 28 15:59:42 UTC 2008

At 8:02 AM -0700 3/28/08, Arnold M. Zwicky wrote:
>On Mar 28, 2008, at 7:38 AM, Larry Horn wrote:
>>... *Did we ever figure out what those are called, those brief
>>mentions on the front page of a newspaper section announcing and
>>promoting a particular article/column on an inside page? It's not
>>exactly a subhead, but what is it?
>in a posting on these things on the front pages of porn magazines, i
>called them "teasers", on analogy with the teasers for tv shows:
>AZ, 7/18/06: Drawing the line:
>but "teaser" seems to be used in newspaper contexts for something
>rather different -- an ad for some coming product or preliminary
>announcement of some coming event, with few details specified.
>in the NYT, the brief mentions are called "Inside the Times", with a
>few on the front page and more on the next page or two; as a set, they
>function as an incomplete table of contents for the day's news.

Exactly; I've cited data from the "Inside the Times" listings too, as
well as the bottom-of-the-page items on the Dining section, etc., and
have never known how to refer to them.

>surely there's a technical term in journalism.  i just don't know what
>it is.
Ah, good.  I may even have asked this before and you may have
responded as above--annoying, these half-heimers.  But "teaser"
*ought to* be used for these, even if it isn't, so I'll (try to
remember to) call them that henceforth.


The American Dialect Society -

More information about the Ads-l mailing list