Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Mar 28 16:16:54 UTC 2008

Are they sometimes called "sidebars"?  I know this term usually
refers to an ancillary piece, but I think I've seen it also used to
refer to the "teasers".

By the way, this week the Times seems to have expanded to three pages
of "Inside the Times" -- one of which refers outside, to its web site
-- in addition to the bottom-of-the-first-page teasers.


At 3/28/2008 11:02 AM, Arnold M. Zwicky wrote:
>On Mar 28, 2008, at 7:38 AM, Larry Horn wrote:
>>... *Did we ever figure out what those are called, those brief
>>mentions on the front page of a newspaper section announcing and
>>promoting a particular article/column on an inside page? It's not
>>exactly a subhead, but what is it?
>in a posting on these things on the front pages of porn magazines, i
>called them "teasers", on analogy with the teasers for tv shows:
>AZ, 7/18/06: Drawing the line:
>  http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/003362.html
>but "teaser" seems to be used in newspaper contexts for something
>rather different -- an ad for some coming product or preliminary
>announcement of some coming event, with few details specified.
>in the NYT, the brief mentions are called "Inside the Times", with a
>few on the front page and more on the next page or two; as a set, they
>function as an incomplete table of contents for the day's news.
>surely there's a technical term in journalism.  i just don't know what
>it is.
>The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org

The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org

More information about the Ads-l mailing list