William Safire on the kitchen sink

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 30 18:47:48 UTC 2008

In his article on the kitchen sink in today's NYT Mag, Safire notes
that the kitchen sink was once an object made of a "sheet of _zinc_
over wood ..."

Perhaps this is the reason that my late, East-Texas-born grandmother
always referred to our kitchen sink, which differed in no way from the
usual enameled kitchen sink standard in houses built back in the day,
as "the _zinc_," though she referred to the bathroom sink only as "the
_sink_."

-Wilson

-----
-Sam'l Clemens