William Safire on the kitchen sink

Scot LaFaive slafaive at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 31 20:42:11 UTC 2008

> In Wisconsin, is every sink called a "zinc" (or "zink") or just the kitchen "zinc"?

Having lived in Wisconsin for all 33 years of my life, I don't recall
ever hearing voicing at the beginning of "sink," unless someone was
attempting a bad German impression.

Speaking of "That 70's Show," I was impressed the other night when
Hyde kept asking Fez for a "pop," not a "soda." Also, Hyde does a
great Northern Wisconsin/Minnesota accent when he's making fun of Bob.

Scot