puncheon 'made of puncheons' 1689

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri May 2 16:39:52 UTC 2008

Oops -- I missed "puncheon 2"!  But on the other hand, that type of
cask seems intended for liquidy or loose commodities (wine, fish.
tallow, salt) -- at least, from *all* the OED2 quotations.

Sewall was bringing home books and cordage in his puncheons, not
things that would conform to a cask.  Might his kind of puncheon have
been a case constructed specifically to contain his quantity of books
and cordage?  Puncheon 1. is "5. a. A piece of timber with one face
roughly dressed, or a split trunk, used for flooring and *rough
building*. U.S." [Emphasis added.  And the "U.S." is suggestive.]

Joel