"baby mama" does not mean what they thought it means

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue May 6 02:50:54 UTC 2008

"When other black friends and acquaintances - "po' folk with no
education," as my Texas grandmother would have referred to them - use
"baby mama / daddy," _they're not joking_ and

"*they don't alternate these _or any other possessive_ with the -'s form.*"

This is also true of black speakers of the relevant sociolinguistic
class heard on The Judges, on BET, in neo-blaxploitation movies, on
the street, and on the various forms of public transportation.

This is true of such speakers even when they are sufficiently
cognizant of the usages of other dialects that they use such
Briticisms as [aaarrrggghhh!!!] "at the end of the day."

There is no alternation between possessive -'s and possessive -0.
There is only possessive  -0. Formations such as "baby mama," in which
simple "baby" is the equivalent of "baby's" in other dialects, are the
norm in this (sub-)dialect. One can hear, e.g.:

at my mama house, in my brother car, one of my sister friend

etc., without hearing any instances of possessive -s, even in social
environments in which the speakers wish to appear as
a(stereo)typically black as possible.

Hope this helps!

-Wilson

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 9:13 PM, Marc Velasco <marcjvelasco at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>  Poster:       Marc Velasco <marcjvelasco at GMAIL.COM>
>  Subject:      Re: "baby mama" does not mean what they thought it means
>
>  While humorous, no, it doesn't really address the question.
>  Basically, I want to know whether this is an instance of a generalized
>  practice, or whether it's merely a one-off item, with no other
>  instances of it as yet.
>
>  and when I say instance, I mean, instance of the 'unmarked possessive'
>  and not just the 'baby mama' phrase specifically.
>
>  thanks for the continued patience I receive on this topic,
>

>  On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 11:55 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > ---------------------- Information from the mail header -----------------------
>  >  Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>  >  Poster:       Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
>  >
>  > Subject:      Re: "baby mama" does not mean what they thought it means
>  >  -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>  >
>  >  I don't know whether this speaks to the question (or not; as a kid, I
>  >  learned a prescriptive rule that stated that "or not" is not used
>  >  after "whether"; my own intuition is that there are some cases in
>  >  which "or not" can be deleted and others in which it can't), but when
>  >  my friends, whether black or white, and I use "baby mama / daddy," we
>  >  use it only as a joking replacement for "baby's (parent)."
>  >
>  >  When other black friends and acquaintances - "po' folk with no
>  >  education," as my Texas grandmother would have referred to them - use
>  >  "baby mama / daddy," they're not joking and they don't alternate these
>  >   or any other possessive with the -'s form. My impression is that they
>  >  don't even realize that they're not using -'s. If you try to bring it
>  >  to their attention, they basically just wonder WTF you're talking
>  >  about, reminding me of my old Army buddy from an area of North
>  >  Carolina so rural that he raised a hog for his high-school senior
>  >  thesis. He was an early adopter of the glottal stop as a replacement
>  >  for the flap in American English. Apparently, where he was from -
>  >  Fuquay Springs - it was standard, in BE, at least. Whenever I would
>  >  try to talk to him about it, he would shut off discussion by
>  >  forcefully and annoyedly stating, "Man, I don't use no glo?al stop!"
>  >
>  >  FWIW, I, as would my grandmother, were she still living, consider the
>  >  use of the glottal stop to be quite déclassé. But, what can one do,
>  >  after all?
>  >
>  >  -Wilson
>  >
> [...]