Ukraine; was Re: I say Myanmar, you say Burma

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 8 01:39:29 UTC 2008

It seems to be not a question of Russian or Ukrainian, then, but of
English. We don't use the definite article with the names of most
countries -- I know this topic (definite articles in country names,
not this one specifically) has been discussed either here or on ANS-L
-- and as a rule we don't use articles with proper nouns that refer to
a single entity. (Never mind ethnonyms like "the Dutch" (collective)
or "the Dane(s)".) So when we say "the Ukraine", we're treating
"Ukraine" like a common noun, and all Ukrainians know what that common
noun means. Eh?

m a m