Documentation(?): _Chicano_ "Mexican-American"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun May 11 02:36:19 UTC 2008

I'm not sure whether this truly constitutes "documentation," there
being only my word that "Chicano" has the meaning claimed for it, but
WTF, eh?

http://www.electricearl.com/dws/hunter.html

"At one point, in late _1951_, I ... hosted a series of ... shows ...
By that time, my audience was not just blacks. Whites and _Chicanos_
were also listening to 'Harlematinee' and coming to my live shows. ...

"... Margie died earlier this year (_1999_). ..."

–––
Hunter Hancock (1913-2004), retired Los Angeles DJ

I personally first heard this term used by Lionel "Chico" Sesma in
1957. At that time, he was the only person DJ'ing "la música
afro-latina" [his term] in English. How and when Hancock became
familiar with it. He was from Uvalde, TX, but Texican students that I
knew at Harvard assured me that the term has never been used in the
Lone Star State. IAC, the only date truly documented is 1999.

In the 'Eighties, Harvard recruited a Mexican-American student from
Permian High School, the source of both the book, "Friday-Night
Lights" and the TV drama of the same title, in Odessa, TX. In addition
to being a member of a minority group, he was a straight-A student and
a high-school All-American in football. Needless to say, hearts
skipped a beat in the Harvard athletic department.

However, after a couple of practices, he quit the team. When asked why
he had done so, he replied, "They don't take football seriously enough
at Harvard."

-Wilson
-----
 -Sam'l Clemens