Query: "Winner, winner, chicken dinner"

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Mon May 12 00:15:53 UTC 2008

According to the movie 21, the term was invented by a now nameless blackjack dealer years ago.  The phrase does not seem to appear in the more factual book on which the movie was based, Bringing Down the House.  However, an 11/26/1998 article in the Worcester Telegram & Gazette, about TV sportscaster Steve Iandoli, seems to supply some support for the blackjack origin as well as suggesting an explanation for its transition to sports usages:  "While in Vegas, Iandoli picked up a phrase from a Chinese blackjack dealer that he often uses on the air:  'Winner, winner, chicken dinner.'"

Although I've played blackjack intermittently since 1980, I don't recall having heard the phrase before seeing 21.  The movie loses credibility quickly with serious blackjack players, when a supposedly knowledgeable character advises not splitting eights when the dealer's up card is a ten.

John Baker

________________________________

From: American Dialect Society on behalf of Sam Clements
Sent: Sun 5/11/2008 4:05 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Query: "Winner, winner, chicken dinner"

You can find it used in Usenet(Google Groups) from January, 1997.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.gambling.sports/msg/93bcf6e30b6ccf0d?dmode=source
(scroll down to the last sentence)

A more tempting post on Usenet was from a poster who said/intimated that
this was a saying from the craps/stickmen in Las Vegas from 20 years ago.

Sam Clements