"the" before country name

Mon May 12 05:40:10 UTC 2008

I thought I remembered this discussion before on this list, but maybe
it was elsewhere.

What I recall is that during the heyday of the British Empire, the
British had a custom of referring to regions with a definite article.
Thus, the Congo, the Gambia (sorry, not the Ghana; see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambia)
, (perhaps) the Argentine.

I don't know that this explanation was substantiated, but that's what
I recall. BB