"anal glaucoma", a new disorder

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue May 13 03:54:28 UTC 2008

At 11:38 PM -0400 5/12/08, James Harbeck wrote:
>I think I first heard (or read) this joke two or three years ago. I
>seem to recall retelling it with a slightly more clinically accurate
>name (glaucoma can cause blindness but isn't itself a form of
>blindness), but obviously "anal glaucoma" is the form that's in
>circulation, and I would imagine it's accelerating in spread.

Yes, I was thinking that "anal astigmatism" would at least be
orthographically alliterative, and while astigmatism also doesn't
involve blindness per se, one could say "I can't come in today,
'cause I have anal astigmatism--I can't hardly see my ass goin' to
work."   But too late now; it's "anal glaucoma" or nothing.

LH