"the" before country (and university) names

Janet Marting marting at UAKRON.EDU
Tue May 13 12:02:35 UTC 2008

I wonder if this thread has any connection to the use of "the" before
university names. When "The" did not precede my university's name (Akron) in
a publication, I heard about it.  (I find it a tad presumptuous to
capitalize the article of my place of employment, The University of Akron,
just as I cring at hearing The Ohio State University, while other schools in
the state, for example, are not called The Miami University or The Ohio
University.)  I don't recall my graduate schools being called The Colorado
State University or The Michigan State University.  Hmm.  Any reactions or
clarifications?

Jinny Marting
Professor of English

Checked by AVG.