New Antedating of "Movie"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 14 13:35:04 UTC 2008

FWIW, I'm not offended by antedatings at all, assuming that your
apology is real and not a joke. Since antedaters put both "antedating"
and the word being antedated in their headings, if it's a word that I
have no interest in, I simply delete the post. I'm not forced to read
it.

-Wilson

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 6:59 AM, Shapiro, Fred <fred.shapiro at yale.edu> wrote:
>  Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>  Poster:       "Shapiro, Fred" <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU>
>  Subject:      New Antedating of "Movie"
>
>  I apologize to those offended by antedatings, but I have pushed back the first citation for the word _movie_ slightly further:
>

>  movie (OED3 1911)
>
>  1909 _Springfield Sunday Republican_ 1 Aug. 19 (America's Historical Newspapers)  The average child only goes to the "Movies" twice a month.
>

>  Fred Shapiro

>  Fred R. Shapiro                                            Editor
>  Associate Librarian for Collections and        YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS
>   Access and Lecturer in Legal Research     Yale University Press
>  Yale Law School                                           ISBN 0300107986
>  e-mail:  fred.shapiro at yale.edu
>  phone: (203) 432-4840

-----
 -Sam'l Clemens