ADS-L Digest - 12 May 2008 to 13 May 2008 (#2008-135)

Doug Harris cats22 at FRONTIERNET.NET
Wed May 14 17:15:20 UTC 2008

I make pretty much the same distinction where executive and
sports/entertainment industry salaries are concerned:

No one, by my way of thinking, _earns_ $50,000,000 (or more)
per year. Many, unfortunately for the rest of us, are _paid_
such silly figures. IOW, they're "given" lots of extra money.

Somewhere, somehow, all the rest of us do the paying, too,
via higher costs on . . . whatever . . . goods or services.
dh

Rosemarie said:
. . .
My father . . . insists that the  word "give" can only be used if you mean
giving with nothing in return - i.e., a gift, or at least something similar.