When is a knish not a knish [more]

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun May 18 00:37:26 UTC 2008

At 6:38 PM +0000 5/17/08, ronbutters at aol.com wrote:
>Both are ambiguous. In both cases, "knish" can mean nothing more
>than 'sweet thing'.

Indeed, that seems to be the primary if not only sense in the Sanders
line, but a bit of googling on "her knish" (and patience to scroll
past the literal references) brings back a number that are quite
clearly unambiguous, with neither the 'potato/meat pastry' nor the
'sweetie' senses, e.g.:

--"Dolores Pomilio dresses with her skirt up to her knish"

--Gertler wanted to own her, possess her-he'd managed to conquer her
knish only once-and that once had increased his desire and hunger for
her.

--her head stuck between her legs looking in her "knish"

[this last is from http://www.awordinyoureye.com/jokesnaughtier7thset.html,
a useful site if you need a database of dirty Jewish jokes from England]

LH